Prices will vary greatly depending on the chosen location, but if you pay 2 or 200 SGD (US$ 147.90), there's no way you'll be leaving hungry!
Some of Singapore's delicacies include:
- Crab: be it with pepper, chilli, or any other way, you'll find crab absolutely everywhere in Singapore.
- Satay: skewers of chicken or pork in a peanut sauce. A big hit among tourists!
- Char Kway Teow: rice noodles with garlic, shrimp and various sauces
- Laksa: used to refer to a variety of noodle soups.
- Hainan Rice and Chicken: steamed chicken with rice and sauces
- Roti Prata: although this dish originally comes from India, the roti has become a Singapore classic. It's a flatbread which can come with a variety of ingredients inside.
Street Food – Hawkers
Hawkers are a number of street stalls that share tables and other services. If you've already visited other cities in southeast Asia such as Bangkok, you'll know that it's common in many countries in the area. The price of a meal varies, from 3 to 7 SGD (US$ 5.20).
Our favourite hawker centre is Lau Pa Sat, found underneath an iron structure brought all the way from Scotland at the end of the 19th century. Don't leave without trying their satay!
Best areas and restaurants
One very special restaurant is Equinox. It can be found 226 metres up on the 70th floor of the Hotel Swissotel The Stamford, and it offers some incredible, breathtaking views. It's the perfect place for a romantic dinner, and prices per person begin at 100 SGD (US$ 73.90).