Unlike in many other cities, having a shop in the metro station is a great location!
The MRT has five lines
- NS (North-South Line, Red): from Marina Bay to Jurong East.
- EW (East-West Line, Green) goes from the Changi Airport to Tuas Link. It takes 27 mins from the airport to the centre.
- NE (North-East Line, Brown): Connects HarbourFront (the stop if you want to go to Sentosa) and Punggol.
- CC (Circle Line, Yellow): Connects HarbourFront and Marina Bay.
- DTL (Downtown Line, Blue): Connects Bukit Panjang, in the northeast, and Expo, to the east.
No Durians Please
Something that's sure to surprise are the restrictions on the MRT. On the metro you can't smoke, eat, drink, bring on board flammable substances or (the cherry on the cake) durian fruit.
These are local fruits which, although tasty, smell terrible! And as well as on the metro, they're banned from hotels.
The metro runs from 5:30 am to 00:30. The frequency varies from 2 to 8 minutes depending on the line and the time of day.
The price of the Singapore MRT depends on the distance travelled. It varies between 1.50 SGD (US$ 1.10) and 2.50 SGD (US$ 1.90) per journey.